Swapped out 12V 12Ah lead acid battery for LiFePO4 equivalent along with a solar charge controller to match LiFePO4 charging requirements.
- 3.5lbs vs 7.5lbs / 1.6kg vs 3.4kg
- Depth of discharge to 80% vs 50% (115W vs. 72W) usable capacity in theory
- Built in Battery Management System (BMS) that protects against over discharge, etc.
- Shifts the battery management from the charge controller to the battery and simplifies the controller
- Charge controller is MPPT vs PWM
- Battery is 4X the cost of lead acid equivalent
- Solar charge controller that is LiFePO4 not as prevalent as PWM controllers
- Discharge challenge
- Please watch video for full details on what happens when battery is fully discharged
- Tricked charge controller and BMS by "jump starting" the system